I am still following our predictable meal plan schedule, and it is still making meal planning a lot easier! Now, let's be honest, meal planning still isn't always my favorite thing to do, but this does make it easier.
Mondays are our breakfast-for-dinner night, and I was getting a little tired of eggs, pancakes, and home fries. Martha Stewart came to the rescue, with her recipe for Baked Eggs and Tortillas in Creamy Tomato Sauce!!
I made some adjustments to the recipe to fit our needs a little more, and I want to share this yummy recipe with you! There are many more adjustments that could easily be made to it to pack in the nutrients, such as finely chopped spinach.
Renee's Version of Baked Eggs:
1 TBS Olive Oil
1 large organic white onion, diced and small
3 organic garlic cloves, minced
1 can (28 ounce) organic crushed tomatoes (I like Muir Glen b/c there's more tomatoes and less juice than other brands)
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
8 small organic corn tortillas
1 14.5 ounce can of drained organic black beans
12 large organic eggs
4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a medium saucepan, heat the oil on medium high heat.
3. Add the onion, salt it, and cook until tender.
4. Add the garlic and red pepper. Cook until you can smell it.
5. Pour in the tomatoes and simmer for about 5 minutes to slightly thicken it.
6. While it cooks, slice the tortillas into 1/2 inch strips.
7. Grease 9x13 inch glass pan with butter.
8. Pour into the greased pan 1 cup of the sauce.
9. Spread out the tortilla strips over the sauce.
10. Sprinkle the beans over the tortilla strips
11. Pour the rest of the sauce over the beans.
12. Crack the eggs over the sauce in a 4x3 pattern
13. Salt and pepper the eggs like you would normally eat them
14. Sprinkle the grated cheese on top of the eggs
15. Bake until the eggs set and the sauce is bubbly, about 25 - 30 minutes.